Singaporean Fish Head Curry. Fish head curry in Singapore is one of the absolute best things to eat when you visit. ►Subscribe to my channel for more videos. Wash the fish head or fish steaks and pat dry. Add the tomatoes, red chilli, green chilli, curry leaves.
Once you cook them, you'll never want to let them go to waste! Curry Fish Head is, and will always be, a part of Singapore's identity. For one reason or another, Singaporeans just love to add curry to everything we eat. You can cook Singaporean Fish Head Curry using 24 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Singaporean Fish Head Curry
- Prepare 1 of Rohu fish head / Red Snapper fish head.
- Prepare 4 tbsp of oil.
- You need 1/2 tsp of cumin seeds.
- You need 1/2 tsp of fennel seeds.
- Prepare 1/4 tsp of fenugreek seeds.
- It’s 1/4 tsp of mustard seeds.
- Prepare 1/4 tsp of asafoetida.
- You need 3-4 of slit green chilies.
- You need 1 sprig of curry leaves.
- It’s 1 tsp of garlic, chopped.
- You need 1-2 of onions, chopped.
- It’s 1 tsp of ginger-garlic paste.
- It’s 1/2 cup of tomato puree.
- You need 1 tsp of tamarind paste mixed with 1 cup water.
- You need to taste of salt.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of turmeric powder.
- It’s 1 tbsp of red chilli powder.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of coriander-cumin powder.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of garam masala powder.
- It’s 2 of baby eggplants.
- You need 1 of Long eggplant.
- It’s 4-5 of okra, cut into half.
- You need 1 cup of coconut milk.
- You need 1 tbsp of coriander leaves to garnish.
Unique to Singapore and Malaysia, Curry Fish head is an iconic dish. Fish head curry (Malay: kari kepala ikan, Indonesian: kari kepala ikan or gulai kepala ikan) is a dish in Indonesian, Malaysian and Singaporean cuisines with mixed Indian and Chinese origins. Fish head curry is immensely popular in Malaysia and Singapore. With South Indian origins, it uses a combination of various spices and ingredients to create its well accepted delectable taste.
Singaporean Fish Head Curry step by step
- Marinate the fish head with a pinch of salt and turmeric powder for 10-15 minutes. Heat 2 tbsp. oil in a pan and fry them till golden in colour. Drain and keep aside..
- Heat remaining oil and temper with mustard seeds, fennel seeds, fenugreek seeds and cumin seeds. Allow it to splutter. Add the curry leaves, garlic, asafoetida and green chilies. Saute for a few seconds..
- Then add the onion and continue to fry till light brown. Add the ginger-garlic paste and fry well..
- Add the tomato paste and…………all the dry spices. Fry on a medium flame till the oil separates..
- Add the tamarind water and bring it to a boil. Add the okra and eggplants and simmer, covered on a low flame till they are half done..
- Now add the coconut milk and bring it to a boil..
- Drop in the fried fish head. Cover and continue to simmer for a further 2 minutes……….or till the oil starts to rise on the top..
- Serve, garnished with coriander leaves..
Fish head curry in Singapore is one of the absolute best things to eat when you visit. Ying and I landed in Singapore, and we quickly stopped at our hotel to drop off our main bigger bag, and then after that we headed straight to Little India to eat at The Banana Leaf Apolo. Photo "Curry fish head, Traditional singaporean cuisine" can be used for personal and commercial purposes according to the conditions of the purchased Royalty-free license. Singapore, ever modernizing, has embraced air‐conditioning with vengeance. For those who would like to create Singapore fish head curry.