You can cook Roti Canai using 8 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Roti Canai
- You need 3 cups of multi-purpose flour.
- You need 2 tablespoons of ghee/butter.
- You need 1 tablespoon of condensed milk.
- You need 1 teaspoon of salt.
- It’s 2 teaspoons of sugar.
- You need 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda.
- Prepare 1 of egg.
- It’s 1/4 cup of water.
Roti Canai step by step
- MAKING THE DOUGH… Knead all the ingredients into a dough, adding the water in at the end..
- Once the dough doesn’t stick to your hands, knead for 5-10 mins, then cover with cling film and rest for 15 mins..
- Knead for another 5-10 mins. Then cover with cling film and rest for at least half an hour..
- Oil a container with melted ghee or cooking oil..
- Divide the dough into balls the size of golf balls. Soak them in melted ghee/oil in the container for at least 8 hours, covered in the refrigerator..
- FLIPPING & FRYING THE ROTI… Oil the table/counter..
- Flatten and slap around a dough ball. Spread it evenly on the table, then either flip (lift up and throw down) or push it out on the counter till it’s stretched out and semi-transparent..
- Add melted ghee/oil onto the stretched dough, as well as any stuffing you’the like to put in it (eg, egg, cheese, bananas,etc). Then either fold it into a square or roll it into a rose. If it’s a rose, press out into a flat circle before frying..
- Move it into a pre-heated and oiled pan. Fry both sides till parts of it turn golden brown. Fluff up the roti by clapping it from the sides..
- Serve hot with dhal or curry..