Laksa. Laksa is a spicy noodle soup popular in the Peranakan cuisine of Southeast Asia. Laksa consists of thick wheat noodles or rice vermicelli with chicken, prawn or fish, served in spicy soup based on either rich and spicy curry coconut milk or on sour asam (tamarind or gelugur). Laksa is found in Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore, and Southern Thailand.
This is an easy Laksa recipe because it's made with a store bought Laksa paste which is spruced up to make a restaurant quality Laksa. You can't just dump laksa paste into coconut milk!! Today I am sharing my "friendly" laksa recipe with you. You can cook Laksa using 18 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Laksa
- You need of Broth.
- It’s 1 liter of chicken stock.
- You need 4 of stems spring onion chopped.
- It’s 1 of stem lemon grass.
- You need 2 tbsp of red curry paste.
- You need 1 tsp of sambal oelek.
- Prepare 1 tsp of shrimp paste.
- Prepare 1 tsp of ground turmeric.
- Prepare 1-2 cups of coconut milk.
- Prepare of Garnish.
- Prepare of Vermicelli.
- You need of Fried tofu.
- You need of Shrimp.
- You need of Fish cake.
- It’s of Bean spout.
- It’s of Cilantro.
- Prepare of Egg.
- Prepare of Lemon.
I have adapted the recipe so the taste appeals more to the western palate. This is the version you will find in most high-end hotels in Southeast Asia, with the ingredients modified but the flavor is still iconic and authentic. Make the Laksa paste- see the notes below (or use store-bought laksa paste).; Cook rice noodles according to directions. In a large heavy bottom soup pot or dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat.
Laksa step by step
- Prepare vermicelli according to packaging instruction. Set aside..
- Combine chicken stock, spring onion, lemon grass, curry paste, sambal oelek, shrimp paste and turmeric in a pot and bring to boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 3-5 minutes.
- Add 1 cup of coconut milk and bring to boil then reduce heat to low to simmer. By this time, you will be able to test the flavor profile of the broth. You may add more coconut milk according to how creamy you want the laksa or add curry paste or sambal oelek for a more spicy broth..
- Simmer for 3-5 minutes. Depending on what protein you will be adding, say shrimp and fish cake, simmer for another 3 minutes or until fish is cooked thoroughly. Make sure the heat is not too high to avoid getting the proteins from being broken down..
- To serve, place vermicelli i to a bowl and ladle in the broth. Top with your choice of garnish..
Spices are best ground on the stone mortar and pestle to form laksa paste. It is best to start working from the coriander seeds and add one ingredient at a time once the spices form a smooth paste. Add dashes of salt to make the tougher ingredients (e.g. chili, lemongrass, garlic) easier to grind. Laksa is spicy, fragrant noodle soup found across Southeast Asia, particularly Singapore, Malaysia, and Indonesia. It consists of noodles (either wheat noodles, rice vermicelli, or egg noodles/hokkien noodles) in a thick broth made with spices, fresh aromatics, shrimp paste, and coconut milk.