Okra and Lamb : Bamia Stew.
You can have Okra and Lamb : Bamia Stew using 14 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Okra and Lamb : Bamia Stew
- You need 500 g of fresh okra, ends trimmed.
- It’s 500 g of lamb, or beef diced.
- You need 1 1/2 cups of white rice.
- You need 1 cup of vegetable oil.
- Prepare 1 of large onion, chopped.
- Prepare 1 clove of garlic, chopped.
- Prepare 4 of tomatoes, peeled and cubed.
- Prepare of juice of 1 lemon.
- Prepare 1 tablespoon of tomato paste, diluted in 1 cup of water.
- You need 1 teaspoon of dried mint.
- You need 1/2 teaspoon of ground coriander.
- You need 2 of beef broth cubes, diluted in 2 cups of water.
- You need of fresh ground pepper to taste.
- Prepare of salt to taste.
Okra and Lamb : Bamia Stew step by step
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- In a large saucepan, fry the okra with ½ cup vegetable oil until it becomes tender. Remove and keep aside..
- Fry the onions, in a deep pan, with ½ cup of vegetable oil until they become soft. Then add in the garlic, meat and coriander. Season with salt, pepper and mint. Stir until the meat begins to brown..
- Add in the tomato paste, cubed tomatoes, and 1/2 cup of meat broth. Mix well and let it simmer over low heat until the liquid is absorbed..
- Transfer the meat mixture to an oiled circular casserole. Then distribute the okra evenly on top of it..
- Pour the remaining meat broth and lemon juice over the stew. Cover the casserole with either a lid or foil and bake in the oven for 45 minutes. Check from time to time and add in water if the mixture is dry..
- Serve hot with white rice on the side..