Lentils and rice puree – mujaddara mussafayeh. Mujaddara is a classic Arabic recipe featuring cooked lentils and rice, caramelized onions, herbs and yogurt. It's a delicious vegetarian main dish! Whether you want soft caramelized onions (shown in photos) or more crispy caramelized onions (more traditional), your mujaddara will turn out great.
Mujadara (mujaddara) is a signature Middle Eastern dish of lentils and rice garnished with crispy onions. This simple dish will surprise your taste buds in the best way possible. For a vegan dinner, serve it alongside a bright and fresh Mediterranean salad like Fattoush. You can have Lentils and rice puree – mujaddara mussafayeh using 7 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Lentils and rice puree – mujaddara mussafayeh
- Prepare 2 cups of lentils, washed and drained.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of white rice.
- Prepare 2 of large onions, finely chopped.
- Prepare 6 cups of water.
- You need 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- You need 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil.
- You need 2 teaspoons of salt.
Mujaddara is a simple but flavorful rice and lentil pilaf, topped with sweet caramelized onions. Serve alone or as the base of just about I discovered Mujaddara probably about ten years ago at this little Lebanese lunch spot in Baton Rouge, called Serop's Express. Mujaddara is a traditional Middle Eastern dish made with lentils cooked with rice, bulgur or wheat, garnished with onions fried in olive oil. Lentils & Rice, A Classic Lebanese Dish – Moudardara – طريقة تحضير مجدرة الأرز او المدردرة – Mujadara.
Lentils and rice puree – mujaddara mussafayeh instructions
- In a bowl, soak the rice in warm water..
- In a deep cooking pot, place lentils and 6 cups water on high heat. When water starts boiling, reduce heat, cover the pot, and leave to cook for about 30 min..
- In a skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil and fry the onions until golden, then set aside..
- Once cooked, remove the lentils from the water and blend them in a food processor for a few minutes. Put back the lentil mixture in the pot..
- Strain the rice and add it over the lentils. Stir for few minutes until the rice is cooked..
- On low heat, add the fried onions and salt and stir continuously for about 20 min..
- Before removing from heat, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil..
- Remove from heat, pour in a serving plate and let it cool before serving..
Mujaddara, or Mujadara, translates to a middle eastern staple Rice and Lentil preparation which is everyday staple in every Lebanese home. My first introduction to Mujaddara or I should say, Lebanese Lentils and Rice, was through a colleague how brought. Reminds me of lentils and rice, an American dish made from lentils and rice. Add in onions while it's cooking, add some more onion in a pot and fry it. And you got your self mujaddara.