Koshari – Egyptian Dish.
You can have Koshari – Egyptian Dish using 16 ingredients and 19 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Koshari – Egyptian Dish
- You need 1 cup of Rice.
- You need 1 cup of Pasta (preferably macaroni pasta).
- Prepare 1 cup of Brown lentils.
- It’s to taste of Salt and black pepper.
- You need of For the sauce:.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of Veg. Oil.
- You need 1 of small Onion – diced finely.
- It’s 2 clove of Garlic – diced finely.
- You need 15 oz of Tomato paste.
- It’s 400 grams of Tomato paste.
- Prepare to taste of Any spices you wish to add.
- It’s 1/2 cup of Water.
- It’s to taste of Salt + pepper.
- Prepare of For crispy onion.
- You need 2 of large Onions.
- Prepare of Oil for deep frying the onions.
Koshari – Egyptian Dish step by step
- Cook the lentils in just over a litre of salted water. Bring to boil and then reduce heat and simmer covered for 15-30 mins..
- When the lentils are tender add the rice to the lentils and let it simmer until it's cooked (you can add water if necessary..
- Cook the pasta in a different pot. Rinse and strain when done..
- For crispy onions.
- Heat the oil and add the onions and fry until slightly browned. Using a slotted spoon to remove onions from oil and place on paper towels to drain and cool..
- For tomato sauce.
- Heat the 2 tbsp of oil in a medium saucepan and add the diced onions and garlic and fry till light brown.
- Immediately add the tomato paste.
- And the spices you choose to add!.
- Add the salt and pepper (to taste).
- Add the water and leave to simmer, reduce the heat to low and cover and simmer for 20 mins stirring occasionally.
- For the finished dish:.
- In one pot add the rice, lentils and pasta and toss and combine and serve from there..
- Add the rice, lentils, and pasta mix into a large bowl.
- Then the tomato sauce on top.
- Sprinkle some hot chili powder of you like spicy food.
- Now add the crispy onion.
- You can also top it with something like chickpeas.