Smoor [Dutch-Indonesian Spiced Chicken and Rice].
You can have Smoor [Dutch-Indonesian Spiced Chicken and Rice] using 16 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Smoor [Dutch-Indonesian Spiced Chicken and Rice]
- Prepare 1 of large yellow onion, diced.
- Prepare 1/2 stick of butter (4 tablespoons).
- You need 8 cloves of garlic, minced.
- Prepare 2 lbs of boneless skinless chicken thighs.
- Prepare 1 1/2 teaspoons of freshly ground nutmeg.
- Prepare 1 tablespoon of Better Than Buillon (Chicken).
- Prepare 1-2 teaspoons of sambal (oelek or terasi) [optional].
- Prepare 2 teaspoons of fresh ginger, minced.
- You need 1 teaspoon of ground cloves.
- Prepare 2 tablespoons of Ketjap Manis (Sweet Soy Sauce, ABC brand preferred).
- You need 1/3 cup of water.
- You need 1/2 tablespoon of terasi (shrimp paste) [optional].
- Prepare 2 cups of uncooked Jasmine rice, cooked according to package directions.
- Prepare of for garnish, Ketjap Manis (Sweet Soy Sauce, ABC brand preferred) [optional].
- You need of for garnish, Sambal Oelek [optional].
- You need 1 lb of broccoli florets, steamed [optional].
Smoor [Dutch-Indonesian Spiced Chicken and Rice] step by step
- Heat butter in a large skillet over medium-low heat until melted. Add onions, garlic, and ginger and cook until softened, about 8-10 minutes..
- Bring heat up to medium and nestle each chicken thigh among the onions. Cook for about 3-4 minutes and flip each thigh..
- Add the soy sauce, water, Better than Bouillon, terasi, sambal oelek, nutmeg, and cloves. Flip chicken and stir until ingredients are just combined..
- Bring to a gentle simmer and cook on low heat for about 50 minutes or until chicken is tender. Flip chicken halfway through..
- Serve over a bowl of Jasmine rice with broccoli if using and top with a drizzle of ketjap manis. For an extra kick garnish with sambal oelek..