The Egyptian Koshari.
You can have The Egyptian Koshari using 17 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of The Egyptian Koshari
- It’s 1 cup of brown lentils, rinsed.
- It’s 1 cup of macaroni, elbow or small shells.
- You need 1 cup of white rice, soaked in water for one hour.
- You need of vegetable oil.
- You need of Tomato Sauce.
- You need 1 of large onions, finely chopped.
- It’s 5 cloves of garlic, chopped.
- You need 1 1/2 cup of tomato juice.
- You need 1 tablespoon of tomato sauce.
- You need 4 tablespoons of vinegar.
- Prepare of allspice according to taste.
- It’s of salt to taste.
- You need of black pepper to taste.
- Prepare of For the takleya:.
- You need 2 of large onions, peeled and cut into thin slices.
- Prepare 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil.
- It’s of black pepper to taste.
The Egyptian Koshari instructions
- Place lentils in a large saucepan and cover it with water, add 1 teaspoon of salt. Cook until they are very tender then remove from heat and drain. Keep the lentils’ water, we will use it later on for the rice..
- Heat the oil in a pan and mix in onions and all-spice. Stir until the onions start changing color then add the rice and cook for another 3 minutes..
- Add in the lentils. Mix gently with the rice for few minutes. Then pour the lentils’ water..
- Cover the pan, and simmer over low heat with lid on until rice and lentils are cooked..
- Meanwhile, cook the macaroni according to box directions. Drain and keep aside warm..
- To make the tomato sauce: heat vegetable oil in a large skillet, stir in the garlic and cook until they become transparent. Then add in the tomato juice, tomato sauce, vinegar and salt. Cook over medium heat until the mixture starts boiling. Remove from heat and keep warm..
- For the takileya, heat the oil in another skillet and fry the onions until they become soft and golden. Flavor with black pepper. Remove and drain on paper towels..
- To serve: put the rice and lentils in a deep serving dish, spread the macaroni on top, pour the tomato sauce all over. Garnish with the takelaya..
- Serve warm..