Muri Ghonto (Bengali Fish Head Curry with Rice).
You can cook Muri Ghonto (Bengali Fish Head Curry with Rice) using 22 ingredients and 14 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Muri Ghonto (Bengali Fish Head Curry with Rice)
- It’s 1 of fish head – medium sized.
- Prepare 3/4 cup of gobindobhog rice (or basmati rice).
- Prepare 1 of big sized potato, diced.
- It’s 1 of big sized onion, finely chopped.
- You need 5-6 of green chillies, slit for middle.
- Prepare 1 tsp of ginger paste.
- Prepare 1 tsp of garlic paste.
- It’s 2 of cinnamon sticks (dalchini).
- You need 5-6 of green cardamom (elaichi).
- You need 5-6 cloves of (laung).
- Prepare 2 of star anise (chakra phool).
- Prepare 2 of bay leaves (tej patta).
- Prepare 2 of dried red chillies.
- You need 1/2 tsp of whole cumin seeds (gota jeera/sabud jeera).
- Prepare 2 tsp of turmeric powder (haldi).
- Prepare 1 tsp of cumin powder (jeera).
- It’s 1 tsp of coriander powder (dhaniya).
- It’s 1/2 tsp of red chilli powder (or as per your tolerance).
- Prepare 1 tsp of sugar.
- Prepare of salt (according to taste).
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of ghee.
- It’s 4-5 tbsp of mustard oil.
Muri Ghonto (Bengali Fish Head Curry with Rice) instructions
- Heat a pan and dry roast cinnamon sticks, cardamom, cloves and star anise. Remove from the pan and keep aside..
- Rub the fish head with turmeric powder and some salt. Fry the head properly and keep aside..
- Rub the potato pieces with turmeric powder and some salt. Shallow fry the pieces and keep aside..
- Heat ghee in a pan and shallow fry the rice adding 2 pinches of turmeric powder for 1 minute. Remove the rice from the pan and keep aside..
- Heat 3-4 table-spoon oil in a pan and add cumin seeds, roasted spices, dried red chillies and bay leaves. Allow the spices to splutter..
- Now, add the chopped onion and green chillies. Sautè until the onion turns translucent..
- Add ginger-garlic paste, cumin powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, red chilli powder and salt and stir for a few seconds on low flame..
- Now, add the fish head and mix very well with the spices. Cook the head with the spices by stirring constantly until it gets crushed properly..
- Add the rice and potato and give a quick mix..
- Now, add 2 cups of warm water, mix well and cover the lid..
- Cook it on low to medium flame for 10 minutes or until the rice and potato get cooked well. Check the salt, if it is less, you can add now..
- After 10 minutes, check if it is well cooked. If not, you can add 1 cup warm water more and cook for another 5 minutes..
- Once the rice is well cooked and the water gets absorbed, add sugar and mix well..
- Turn off the flame, cover the lid and let it set for 10 minutes. Your Muri Ghonto is ready to be served now..