Gado-gado (Indonesian traditional salad with peanut sauce). Gado Gado – fun to say, delicious to eat, this traditional Indonesian salad is probably the only recipe where you can put the words "blanched vegetables" and "tasty" in the same sentence and really mean it. That Gado Gado peanut sauce is a miracle worker! A Bali food favourite, it's healthy and endlessly.
I'm very excited to introduce you to another non-Korean recipe that I filmed with my reader Mariksa in Jakarta, Indonesia! Making gado-gado sauce is very easy if you use a food processor like I did. Following her recipe is my version. You can have Gado-gado (Indonesian traditional salad with peanut sauce) using 9 ingredients and 11 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Gado-gado (Indonesian traditional salad with peanut sauce)
- You need 6 pcs of small tofu.
- It’s 1 block of Tempe (bean cake).
- Prepare 2-3 of potatoes (medium size).
- Prepare 4 pcs of carrots.
- You need 250 g of cabbage.
- Prepare 250 g of bean sprouts.
- You need 2 bunch of kangkung.
- Prepare 4 of eggs.
- It’s of Peanut sauce.
Fun fact – Gado Gado means "Mix mix", which is exactly what this dish is about! The key is in the making of the peanut sauce – combining dried chilli, shallots, lemongrass, balacan, coconut milk and a lot more, it's not surprising that the taste is flavorful and fragrant. It takes a bit of time to come up with. Gado-gado (Indonesian or Betawi) is an Indonesian salad of slightly boiled, blanched or steamed vegetables and hard-boiled eggs, boiled potato, fried tofu and tempeh, and lontong.
Gado-gado (Indonesian traditional salad with peanut sauce) step by step
- Cut tofu and tempe into small size, according to your liking.
- Then fry them and keep aside.
- Clean and cut potatoes and carrots, and shred the cabbage.
- You can either steam or boil the vegetables until they are cooked.
- Keep the kangkung and bean sprouts as it is, you can blanch them after cleaning and keep aside.
- Hard boiled the eggs then keep aside.
- Once all the vegetables, tofu, tempe and eggs are cooked then prepare the peanut sauce.
- This time I'm using ready made sauce so I just add the hot water to the paste, but do follow me for peanut sauce recipe (made from scratch).
- Then arrange all the ingredients on a bowl or plate.
- Lastly add the sauce on top, as much as you like.
- Serve it with hot steamed rice or rice cake. Enjoy!.
This Indonesian salad is true to its name, gado-gado , meaning "potpourri." Assorted vegetables, tofu, eggs, and shrimp chips are dressed in peanut sauce. This popular Indonesian salad lends itself to creativity; nearly any combination of raw and cooked vegetables, along with rice or thin noodles, can. Gado gado, which is a vegetables and compressed rice salad, made with peanut sauce (or cashew nut sauce) dressing, is one of the most common Indonesian street foods available. Although technically a salad or mix, gado gado, especially when it contains compressed rice cakes. Indonesian Gado Gado is a basically a mix of salad type ingredients along with a few other key items.