Vickys Caramel Apple Pie, GF DF EF SF NF.
You can have Vickys Caramel Apple Pie, GF DF EF SF NF using 11 ingredients and 13 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Vickys Caramel Apple Pie, GF DF EF SF NF
- You need 115 grams of gold-foil Stork margarine or unsalted butter.
- It’s 2 tbsp of cornflour/cornstarch.
- You need 1 tbsp of gluten-free flour.
- You need 30 ml of water.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of vanilla extract.
- You need 100 grams of white sugar.
- Prepare 110 grams of light brown sugar.
- It’s 1 tsp of ground cinnamon.
- You need 1/4 tsp of ground nutmeg.
- You need 6 of granny smith apples, peeled, cored and diced.
- You need 1 of sweetened short crust pastry, enough for a double pie crust (shell & lid). I've got my free-from recipe linked below if you need one.
Vickys Caramel Apple Pie, GF DF EF SF NF step by step
- Melt the butter in a saucepan. Stir in both flours. It won't look pretty but don't worry.
- Add the water, vanilla, spices and both sugars and bring to the boil, stirring continuously to bring the caramel together.
- Reduce to a simmer and add the sliced apples, letting them cook slightly in the syrup before letting it cool and thicken.
- Preheat the oven to gas 7 / 210C / 425°F and line a 9 inch pie tin with baking paper or use a spring form cake tin.
- Roll out the pastry and press into the pie tin cutting off the excess to roll again for the top crust. Chill in the fridge until the filling has cooled https://cookpad.com/us/recipes/332957-vickys-sweet-savoury-shortcrust-pastry-gf-df-ef-sf-nf.
- Using a slotted spoon, scoop the filling into the pie shell. This way you can control the amount of caramel that goes in so it won't be too liquidy and the bottom crust doesn't get soggy. Reserve the rest of the syrup for serving later. Mound the filling up slightly in the middle.
- Brush the edge of the shell with some milk or an alternative such as light coconut milk, then top with the lid pastry, cutting a slit on top for steam to escape.
- If you still have some pastry left, roll it out again and cut out some decorative leaves with a knife and place on top to make it prettier.
- Crimp the edge of the lid and bottom crust together to seal and brush some of the leftover caramel syrup all over the lid to glaze.
- Bake 15 minutes in the oven (over a baking tray in case there are spills), then reduce the temperature to gas 4 / 180C / 350°F and bake for a further 35 to 45 minutes or until the apples are soft and the pastry is golden.
- Let cool for 10 minutes in the tin, then cool completely out of the tin on a wire rack. Serve warm but not hot (or you'll lose all of the syrup!) with ice cream, custard or some fresh cream – full fat coconut milk is a lovely non-dairy cream substitute https://cookpad.com/us/recipes/332956-vickys-vanilla-ice-cream-with-flavour-variations-gf-df-ef-sf-nf https://cookpad.com/us/recipes/332987-vickys-vanilla-custard-gluten-dairy-egg-soy-nut-free.
- I hope you try this, everyone in my family that's tried it really loves it.
- TIPS TO AVOID A SOGGY PIE BOTTOM! Let the pie cool on a wire rack completely to let the warmth circulate around the base. Reheat to serve, don't be tempted to cut into it straight from the oven. Using a glass pie dish helps cook the bottom crust better than a metal tin too. Also, if you brush the inside of the shell with some syrup it stops the filling seeping through. If a recipe says add the filling hot, add it hot. And of course you can blind bake the shell before filling. Hope these are useful to you!.