Tamales de rajas y queso (green chile and cheese).
You can cook Tamales de rajas y queso (green chile and cheese) using 8 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Tamales de rajas y queso (green chile and cheese)
- You need 20 lb of Masa preparada (already prepared).
- You need 5 lb of Fresh anaheim chiles.
- You need 3 lb of Fresh pasilla chiles.
- Prepare 3 lb of Fresh serrano chiles.
- Prepare 15 lb of Monterey jack cheese.
- Prepare 4 of bags of hojas (corn husks).
- It’s 1 cup of Lard for every 10 lbs. of masa.
- Prepare 1 cup of chicken broth for every 10 lbs. of masa..
Tamales de rajas y queso (green chile and cheese) instructions
- Place hojas in hot water until ready to wrap tamales..
- Add 1 cup of melted lard and 1 cup of chicken broth for every 10 lbs. of masa. Yes the masa already has lard but this will prevent your masa from drying out during steaming. You might have to place masa in the freezer for a while so the melted lard doesn't make it too watery..
- Roast chiles in oven broiler or on grill enough so that skin will peel easily..
- Placing chiles in plastic bag as soon as roasting is done will help skin sweat off..
- Slice cheese into about 1"x1"x4" pieces. Small enough to make wrapping tamales easy..
- Slice chiles into long strips (rajas)..
- Get an hoja in one hand and a spoon in the other… scoop some masa onto the hoja and spread it up. (It's an art) place one piece of cheese and some chile strips. The serranos are the hot chiles so be careful..
- Place in a steamer pot for at least an hour. Maybe longer depending on your pot and how many tamales you are steaming at once. Test a tamale after an hour to judge how long..