King Ranch Chicken Casserole. The classic King Ranch chicken casserole is bursting with cheese, chicken, and pepper goodness. All Reviews for King Ranch Chicken Casserole. While the King Ranch Chicken recipe has roots in the Lone Star State, it's beloved by savvy home cooks around the South and beyond.
Like a lot of casseroles, King Ranch Casserole is usually made with canned condensed soups. This cheesy casserole is basically a Texan lasagna! Layers of crispy corn tortillas, cheese, and a creamy chicken mixture loaded with bell peppers, tomatoes, green chiles, chili powder and cumin! You can cook King Ranch Chicken Casserole using 12 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of King Ranch Chicken Casserole
- Prepare 6 medium of button mushrooms sliced.
- Prepare 3 of stalks of celery sliced.
- It’s 1 can of condensed cream of mushroom soup (10 3/4 oz).
- It’s 1/2 cup of grated cheddar or fiesta mix cheese.
- Prepare 1 tsp of red pepper flakes (optional).
- It’s 1 can of Rotel brand tomatoes (10 oz, other tomatoes with chilies may be substituted).
- You need 6 of to 8 corn tortillas.
- Prepare of salt & pepper.
- It’s 2 tbsp of butter.
- It’s 2 clove of garlic mined (small or to taste).
- You need 1 of chicken thigh & leg quarter.
- It’s of water.
Perfect for potlucks or family get togethers! Creamy King Ranch Chicken Casserole loaded with chicken, tortillas, cheese, and green chiles. This zesty King Ranch Casserole Recipe is packed with comfort, not canned soup! In America, king ranch chicken casserole is the most popular famous dish.
King Ranch Chicken Casserole instructions
- Prep is 20 minutes, but you'll need 40 minutes to an hour for baking..
- Place the chicken into a sauce pan with enough water to cover it. Salt & pepper the water well. I like to add some garlic or onion too. Bring to a boil & cook for 15 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through..
- Set aside & let the chicken cool. Retain liquid in a bowl. When the chicken has cooled shred the meat off of the bone. Discard bones & skin..
- In a frying pan sauté the celery, mushrooms, & garlic in the butter until tender & fragrant. This can be done while the chicken cooks..
- Transfer the sautéed vegetables to a mixing bowl. Add the condensed soup undiluted, chicken, Rotel tomatoes, & red pepper flakes (optional). Fold the ingredients together..
- Prepare an 8×8 pan or similar baking dish. Preheat oven to 350°F Fahrenheit..
- Dip each corn tortilla into the broth reserved from the chicken. Then make a single layer in the pan. (As you would for lasagna) Then place 1/2 of the chicken mixture onto the tortillas, spread evenly. Repeat steps for another layer of tortillas & mixture..
- Cover with foil and bake for 20 to 30 minutes. Then remove foil, sprinkle with cheese & continue to bake for 20 to 30 more minutes or untli center is hot. Allow to rest for 5 minutes before serving..
Have you smelled the fragrance of delicious king. A signature Ro*Tel recipe–a creamy, cheesy and easy casserole with that special 'kick' coming from Ro*Tel tomatoes and green chilies. Layer one-third each of tortillas, chicken mixture and cheese evenly in dish. We bet that after one taste of this rich, creamy King Ranch casserole recipe, you'll be hooked too. It also travels well, making it a great choice to take to a covered-dish dinner.