Moroccan Chicken Stew.
You can have Moroccan Chicken Stew using 21 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Moroccan Chicken Stew
- Prepare 2 Tbsp of olive oil.
- Prepare 6-8 of chicken thighs with skin.
- You need 1 1/2 cups of carrots, peeled, sliced 1/2".
- You need 1/2 cup of yellow onion, roughly chopped.
- You need 2 of garlic cloves, mashed.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of salt.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of freshly ground black pepper.
- It’s 1/4 tsp of ground cumin.
- It’s 1/4 tsp of powdered or fresh ginger.
- You need 1/2 tsp of ground coriander.
- You need 1/2 tsp of ground cinnamon.
- It’s 1 Tbsp of tomato paste.
- It’s 1 1/2 cups of less-sodium chicken broth.
- You need 1 cup of frozen okra (optional).
- You need 1 can of chickpeas or garbanzo beans (11 oz.), drained.
- Prepare 3/4 cup of dried apricots, halved.
- Prepare 4 of plum tomatoes, halved, seeded, sliced 1/4”.
- You need 1/4 teaspoon of turmeric (optional).
- Prepare 1/2 cup of fresh parsley or cilantro, chopped.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of slivered almonds (optional).
- Prepare 1 bowl of prepared cooked rice or couscous (serve 4).
Moroccan Chicken Stew step by step
- Heat olive oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add chicken to the pot and cook 5 minutes by browning both sides. Place chicken on a plate to the side and remove the skin. [Repeat this step if all the chicken pieces didn’t fit on the bottom of the pot].
- With a dash more olive oil added to the pot, add carrots and sauté for 3 minutes. Next, add onions and sauté for another 2 minutes. Add garlic and next 6 ingredients and sauté for 30 seconds until fragrant. Add tomato paste and stir this mixture..
- Stir in broth and continue to heat by scraping the bottom of the pan to loosen the browned bits on the bottom. Return chicken to the pot and cover. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes..
- Add okra (optional), chickpeas, and apricots to the pot and cover. Raise heat to low-medium and cook for 20 minutes. [The okra and apricots will help to thicken the broth slightly].
- Lower the heat to a simmer and add the tomatoes and turmeric (optional) and cook for another 15 minutes until tomatoes are softened..
- Serve on a platter with a bed of rice, topped with parsley or cilantro, and almonds (optional). Or, serve in a large bowl with rice or couscous to the side..