Tinklee's 4th of July Flag Cake (2 ways).
You can cook Tinklee's 4th of July Flag Cake (2 ways) using 15 ingredients and 13 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Tinklee's 4th of July Flag Cake (2 ways)
- It’s of sheet cake.
- Prepare 3 of vanilla cake mixes.
- Prepare 9 of eggs (for cake mixes).
- Prepare 1 1/2 cup of oil( 1/2 cup per cake mix).
- You need 1 1/4 cup of water(for each cake mix).
- It’s of round shape cake ( 8" or 9").
- It’s 2 of vanilla cake mixes.
- You need 6 of eggs ( for cake mixes).
- It’s 1 cup of oil ( 1/2 cup per cake mix).
- You need 1 1/4 cup of water( for each cake mix).
- It’s of both cakes.
- It’s 1 of red food coloring.
- You need 1 of blue food coloring.
- It’s 1 of tinklee's favorite buttercream frosting, found on my profile.
- It’s 1 of white star shaped sprinkles.
Tinklee's 4th of July Flag Cake (2 ways) instructions
- FOR SHEET CAKE : mix up one cake mix according to directions (I used betty crocker and the ingredient list matches it).
- add blue food coloring to this cake batter, color to your desired darkness.
- bake in an 11" x 15" size pan, at 350f, check at about 20mins, might take a lil longer though, when done let cake cool.
- mix up the last 2 cake mixes together according to directions, add red food coloring, now you need to divide the batter into 7, the way I did this was measure how much total cake batter I had, then I divided it by 7, bake all seven layers, be careful they are thin layers, and they do not take long to bake, maybe 7-10 mins.
- to layer cake – start with a red layer, then spread white frosting, making sure the white fristing becomes a stripe also, add 2nd red layer, frosting, 3rd. red layer, frosting,.
- take blue layer and make marks dividing it into forths on the short side, now cut the two end pieces off, so you have 2 long strips of blue.
- add 1 blue strip to each side of cake, frost inside edge of blue cake, your cake should have a whole strip down the middle we will now fill with the remaining red cake layers, take and cut a red layer to size and place down, frost, take 2nd layer of red and cut to fit gap, frost, place 3rd red layer, frost, take last red layer, cut to to gap and place into place, you should be at the top of the cake, your cake should look like a rectangle of red an white stripes with 2 blue stripes running down the sides, now frost cake as you wish.
- when you go to slice this cake you cut the cake in half long ways. then cut slices across, you will get 2 flags slices.
- FOR ROUND CAKE- mix one cake mix up, divide in half (measure this out to figure how much batter you have, then divide by 2), take and add blue food coloring to one half, bake in a 9" round pan, should take less then 15mins to bake, make up last cake mix, add the half of cake mix already made up and measure your batter, then divide by 7, then start baking your rounds using only the amount to be used for each layer,.
- start with the 1st red layer, then frosting, then 2nd red layer, frosting, 3rd red cake layer, frosting.
- find a 5" round circle that you can use as a guide and cut a hole in the very middle of the blue layer of cake, place this donut looking shape on top of cake, frost the inside of the cutout area of the blue layer, now use that same 5" guide and cut the remaining 4 red layers of cake into 5" rounds.
- now place 1st cut round inside of hole on cake, now frost, add 2nd layer, frost, 3rd layer, frost, now add last layer and frost cake however you would like, when you slice into this cake you will always have a flag for each piece.
- When serving cake, place white stars in the blue area of cake, it makes for a very nice finish.