Merguez Sausage and Cumin Lentils with Dandelion Greens.
You can have Merguez Sausage and Cumin Lentils with Dandelion Greens using 13 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Merguez Sausage and Cumin Lentils with Dandelion Greens
- You need 2 Tbsp of olive oil.
- You need 1 lb of merguez sausages.
- You need 2 tsp of whole cumin seeds.
- Prepare 1 of onion, diced.
- You need 1 of fresh cayenne, diced or 1/2 tsp dried red chile flakes.
- Prepare 4 cloves of garlic, minced.
- You need 3 cups of chicken stock.
- Prepare 28 oz of can of whole peeled tomatoes, crushed.
- You need 2 Tbsp of fresh oregano, minced.
- It’s 1 cup of dry lentils.
- You need 1 bunch of dandelion greens.
- You need 2 tsp of sherry vinegar.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of cilantro.
Merguez Sausage and Cumin Lentils with Dandelion Greens instructions
- Dandelion greens are grown in sandy soils. After cutting your greens, place them in a bowl or salad spinner and fill with cold water. Agitate with your hands to dislodge the sand. Remove the greens and and let the sand settle to the bottom. Pour the sandy water out. Repeat until the water runs clear and sand free and then once more. Spin or shake the excess water off the greens..
- Heat the oil in a Dutch oven over medium high heat and add the sausages to brown..
- Turn the sausages and once brown, remove to a bowl. It's ok they're not fully cooked. They will finish later..
- In the oil left in the dutch oven, add the cumin seeds and reduce heat to medium. Cook for 30 seconds..
- Add the onions and season with 1 tsp salt and cook while scraping up the brown bits for ~10 min.
- Add the garlic and red peppers. Cook 30 seconds.
- Add the stock. If you dont have stock on hand, use 3 cups of water and 1 cube each of Bou chicken and Bou vegetable bouillon. Hand crush the tomatoes and add them along with the lentils and oregano. Bring to a simmer over low heat and roughly 1-2 tsp of salt to taste. cook for 30 min uncovered to reduce the stock.
- Add the dandelion greens and mix. Cover and cook until wilted… about 3 minutes..
- Add the sausages back, add the vinegar and and cover to cook for 10 min.
- Plate with slice sausages, sprinkle with cilantro, and dress with a drizzle of high quality olive oil and cracked pepper..