Open Faced Italian Dogs.
You can have Open Faced Italian Dogs using 9 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Open Faced Italian Dogs
- You need 4 each of Sweet Italian Sausages.
- You need 4 each of Hot Dog Buns.
- Prepare 1 of Onion – peeled, sliced 1/4" half moons.
- You need 1 large of Green Bell Pepper – sliced in 2" x 1/4" slices.
- You need 1 each of 14oz Jar Pizza Sauce.
- It’s 1/3 cup of Water.
- It’s 1/4 cup of Butter.
- You need 1 tsp of Garlic Powder.
- You need 1 cup of Mozzarella – shredded.
Open Faced Italian Dogs step by step
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Cover a cookie sheet with foil and cover lightly with non-stick spray. Place sausages on foil and bake for 15 minutes, turn and bake another 10-15 more minutes..
- While sausages are baking, melt butter in large fry pan. Split buns and brush them quickly through the melted butter. Place, buttered side up, on a cookie sheet. Sprinkle with garlic powder. Set aside..
- Saute onions & peppers in remaining butter over medium high heat until edges start to brown but are still 'crisp tender'..
- Empty pizza sauce over onions & peppers. Put 1/3 cup water in jar and shake. Pour into pan. Stir and reduce heat. Gently simmer until buns are done..
- After sausages are done, toast buns in oven. This only takes a minute or two…keep a close eye on them..
- When buns are ready, place on plate. Split sausages lengthwise and place on bun. Top with sauce, onions & peppers. Sprinkle with cheese. Enjoy!.
- Options are mushrooms, sliced olives, ect. Go wild…It will be awesome!.