Roti Boy or Mexican bun (Uniquely Malaysian).
You can cook Roti Boy or Mexican bun (Uniquely Malaysian) using 25 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Roti Boy or Mexican bun (Uniquely Malaysian)
- You need of Water Roux – flour:liquid 1:5 ratio.
- You need 20 g of flour or cake flour.
- It’s 100 ml of water.
- Prepare of The Topping.
- It’s 1 tbsp of coffee essence (or 1 1/2 tsp coffee + 1 tbsp hot water).
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract.
- You need 1 of egg – lightly beaten.
- It’s 1/4 tsp of cinnamon powder.
- You need 50 g of unsalted butter.
- It’s 50 g of icing sugar.
- It’s 70 g of flour.
- Prepare of The Filling (1).
- It’s of Cubed salted butter.
- It’s of The Filling (2).
- Prepare 200 g of salted butter.
- You need 30 g of sugar.
- Prepare Pinch of salt.
- It’s of The Bun.
- Prepare 200 ml of milk – scalded & keep lightly warm.
- Prepare 1 of egg – lightly beaten.
- It’s 40 g of unsalted butter – softened.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of salt.
- Prepare 40 g of sugar.
- It’s 380 g of flour / bread flour.
- You need 1 1/4 tsp of dry instant yeast.
Roti Boy or Mexican bun (Uniquely Malaysian) instructions
- First, work on the Water Roux / Tan Zhong – this can be made early or a day ahead. Keep in the fridge. Leave at room temperature before using. In a small pot, stir flour & water together. Then, place pot over medium heat, keep whisking until its thickened. Cool & set aside..
- Next, do the Topping – First, lightly beat egg. Put aside. Then, add coffee essence (or use coffee that is dissolved in hot water). Add vanila extract. Stir to combine. Keep aside. Next, cream butter & sugar until pale & fluffy. Then add egg & coffee mixture & Stir until well mixed. Add ground cinnamon. Lastly, add flour & mix until you get a smooth paste. Transfer this mixture to a pastry bag fitted with round pastry tip. Refrigerate until ready to use..
- Filling (1) – cube salted butter & keep in the fridge for later. Filling (2) – Mix butter and sugar until well combined (but NOT CREAMY). Keep in the fridge. i use both fillings. I put cubed butter and half a teaspoon of second filling..
- The Bun – using stand mixer with paddle attachment, mix all dry ingredients. Then add milk & egg, mix on speed 1 for 3 minutes. Then switch to dough hook. Use the dough hook to knead on medium speed for about 10mins. Add water roux/tanzhong. Mix again. Then add butter and continue kneading until dough is stretchy..
- Note: it’s best not to over knead the dough. How do you know if your dough is ready? Do a windowpane test by pull off a golf – sized piece of dough. Flatten it lightly, hold it between both your thumbs & the first two fingers and gently spread the dough apart into a thin sheet; if the gluten is well-developed, the dough will stretch into a thin sheet without breaking..
- Next, cover dough with a damp cloth (or greased cling film) & leave to proof for about 40mins or until doubled in size..
- Divide & scale bun equally in size. Lightly Shape into round balls, rest for another 10mins. (Note: do not press dough hard when shaping into balls). Next, flatten bun dough, and put in cubed butter and scooped filling, then wrap it up neatly & shape/roll into round ball. Proof for another 45mins – 60mins or until double in size..
- Pipe filling in spiral pattern onto buns right before baking. Lightly Soften topping by leaving it at room temperature 5mins before using. Topping should not be too soft. Preheat oven. Bake at 170°C (depending on your oven) for 15mins or until topping nicely brown (lightly brown). Serve warm..