Nyonya Fish Head Curry.
You can cook Nyonya Fish Head Curry using 24 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Nyonya Fish Head Curry
- You need 1 of Snapper Fish Head (be sure to remove the gills).
- It’s of Blended Paste (processed in a blender);.
- Prepare 40 g of Shallots.
- Prepare 20 g of Ginger.
- You need 20 g of Garlic.
- Prepare 3 pc of Red Chillies.
- It’s 6 pc of Dried Chillies.
- Prepare 20 g (2 cm) of Turmeric Root.
- You need of Spices (mix well in a bowl);.
- It’s 3 tsp of Coriander Powder.
- You need 1 tsp of Cumin Powder.
- You need 1 Tbsp of Shrimp Paste (Belacan).
- You need of Vegetables;.
- You need 3 pc of Okra (cut into pieces).
- Prepare 1 of Eggplant (cut into pieces).
- It’s of Other Ingredients;.
- You need 1-2 cups of Coconut Milk.
- It’s 3 Tbsp of Cooking Oil.
- It’s 2 stick of Lemongrass (bruised).
- It’s 2 pc of Tamarind Slices.
- It’s 1 sprig of Curry Leaves.
- It’s 1 of Ginger Flower (sliced middle).
- It’s as needed of Salt to taste.
- It’s 1 Tbsp of Palm Sugar.
Nyonya Fish Head Curry instructions
- In a pot, heat the oil until hot on high heat and fry the spices until fragrant (10 seconds). Then add the blended paste and mix well. Fry until the oil separates..
- Next add in 1 or 2 cups of coconut milk (depends on the size of the pot and fish), ginger flower, lemongrass, palm sugar, curry leaves, tamarind slices and mix well. Then add in the fish head and vegetables and cover with a lid..
- Let it cook for 5 to 10 minutes until vegetables are tender. Turn the fish head on the other side if needed. If there is not enough liquid, an additional 1/2 cup of coconut milk or just water will do..
- Cook until the sauce has thicken to a desired consistency. Season to taste..
- NOTE; if you can't find Shrimp Paste, just use 1 Tbsp Dried Shrimp and pound it to a paste.Traditionally you want Red Snapper fish head, but that's too big for 1 person. Rather, Snapper or Sea Bass head fits better. If you are cooking Red Snapper, double the recipe..
- Commentary – HOW TO EAT FISH HEAD CURRY; If you've had fish head, then you'll know that the head doesn't really have a lot of meat; poor man's food after all. The focus is not really on the meat though, what is great is the curry itself, as it contains all the flavors and nutrients from the fish head..