Tsukune (Japanese Chicken Meatballs) Recipe.
You can have Tsukune (Japanese Chicken Meatballs) Recipe using 23 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Tsukune (Japanese Chicken Meatballs) Recipe
- Prepare of For the Tare Sauce:.
- You need 1/2 cup of mirin.
- You need 1/2 cup of soy sauce.
- Prepare 1/4 cup of sake.
- You need 1/4 cup of dark brown sugar.
- You need 1 tablespoon of sherry vinegar.
- It’s 3 of medium cloves of garlic, smashed and peeled.
- Prepare 3 of scallions, roughly chopped.
- Prepare 1 (1 inch) of piece of ginger, sliced.
- You need 1 tablespoon of whole black or white peppercorns.
- You need of For the Meatballs:.
- You need 1 1/2 pounds of ground chicken thighs.
- It’s 1/2 cup of panko bread crumbs.
- Prepare 1/4 cup of finely chopped scallions.
- Prepare 1 of large egg, lightly beaten.
- Prepare 2 teaspoons of finely grated fresh ginger.
- It’s 2 teaspoons of finely minced fresh garlic (about 2 medium cloves).
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of toasted sesame oil.
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of kosher salt.
- You need 1/2 teaspoon of ground white pepper.
- It’s 8-10 of wooden skewers, soaked in water for 30 minutes prior to use.
- You need of Type of fire: Direct.
- You need of Grill heat: medium-high.
Tsukune (Japanese Chicken Meatballs) Recipe instructions
- For the Tare Sauce: Combine mirin, soy sauce, sake, brown sugar, sherry vinegar, garlic, scallions, ginger slices, and peppercorns in a medium saucepan. Bring to boil over high heat, then reduce to a simmer, whisk to combine, and cook until mixture is thick and syrupy, about 45 minutes. Strain through a fine mesh strainer. Set aside or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator until ready to use..
- For the Meatballs: Using hands, mix together chicken, bread crumbs, scallions, egg, ginger, garlic, sesame oil, salt, and white pepper until thoroughly combined. Form mixture into 1-inch meatballs and thread onto skewers..
- Light one chimney full of charcoal. When all the charcoal is lit and covered with gray ash, pour out and spread the coals evenly over entire surface of charcoal grate. Set cooking grate in place, cover grill and allow to preheat for 5 minutes. Clean and oil the grilling grate..
- Careful transfer skewers to grill, if necessary supporting meatballs from bottom to prevent them from falling off skewers. Grill until first side is well browned, about 3-4 minutes. Using tongs, rotate meatballs and cook until well browned on second side, about 2-3 minutes. Repeat for remaining two sides..
- Brush tare sauce all over meatballs and allow to cook for 15-30 seconds longer. Transfer skewers to a plate or serving dish, brush lightly with sauce again and let rest for 5 minutes. Serve immediately..